Concord School Year 7 & 8 Camp Blog
On Monday the 24th of May a bunch of legends from Concord School rocked up to The Summit and your passion and excitement to get into camp were awesome!
What an epic 3 days we had planned for you all, days full of thrill and fun. Day 1 started off by meeting your coaches that guided you through your camp experience. Your coaches were Logan, Zoe, and Sarah.
You also became familiar with our Five Keys and if we used them would make camp go from good to GREAT!
The Five Keys were:
1. Have Fun
2. Play All In
3. Make Lots of Mistakes
4. Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable
5. Don’t Go Home Wondering What If
Without further ado, we got straight into the park to commence your first two activities for day 1!
Your first two activities were Highwire and Bush Challenge.
- Bush Challenge, racing through as a team completing obstacles, and testing your physical and mental skills. Shoutout to Gemma for giving everything a red hot crack!
- Highwire, scaling a tree to then balance across a thin wire with your partner and come down together like a boss. Shoutout to Oliver and Gemma for giving it a go regardless of their fear!
What an epic way to start camp! But that was just the beginning, many more epic activities were yet to come. Finally, to finish off the day you all got settled into your tents and bungalows and had dinner.
Day 2 started off with breakfast, a selection of toast or cereal followed by a morning intentions session with Logan before continuing the rest of the day. Our intentions session covered asking ourselves who we wanted to be for the day and making deliberate choices (supportive, brave, kind, competitive, etc.). What a huge day we had planned for day 2. Before we began our activities we started off by playing a game of Screaming Turtles. Shoutout to Chloe for playing all in! We then commenced our 4 activities that all of you absolutely crushed and it was a sight to see.
Your next 4 activities were as follows:
- Tash’s Ladder, scaling up our big tower to then lean over nothing but a ladder at the very top! Shoutout to Oliver for getting all the way to the top and holding two hands out!
- Scavenger Hunt, unleashing your competitiveness between the 2 teams to see who could complete varied challenges as a whole unit in the given time.
- The Cave, moving through an epic small underground tunnel with no light to give hope and no sounds to comfort, challenging our fear of the unknown, and realizing the difference between perception and reality. Shoutout to Jacob for going through like a champion!
- Abseil, feeling like the main character of Mission Impossible, challenges our ability to trust in ourselves. Shoutout to Josh for going down and making it look epic!
To conclude what was already an epic day you all participated in the Monster Course! Running through a mud run obstacle course linked with the team to achieve a closer connection to your fellow peers and teammates. The rain made the course even more epic! Shoutout to everyone for persevering and supporting each other throughout the course. Special shoutout to Eliza, Chloe, Bonnie, and Christian for never facing away from a challenge and giving everything a go.
Finally, after the course, you all had amazing warm showers to warm yourselves up after a cold yet epic afternoon.
With what was already an epic couple of days of camp, day 3 was underway! We started the day with a gratitude session from Sarah. Our gratitude session encouraged us to reflect on the things that we have in our lives. To appreciate the little things, “gratitude affects your attitude and in turn, affects your altitude”. Next, we went straight down into the park and played a game of Gotcha! On this last day, we only had 2 more activities until the buses came to pick us up and take us back to school. The two activities were as follows:
- Snake and Nails, walking over hundreds of nails with bare feet right before coming face to face with one of the world's most feared animals, Mitch the coastal carpet python.
- Flying Fox, a fast and furious journey across the entire park flying through the air enjoying the spotlight. Shoutout to Kenai for pushing through the nerves and conquering your fear!
Lastly, we got a chance to take a look at our WW2 army tank! What an epic way to finish off what was an incredible 3 days. Thank you, Concord for coming once again!
Keep Unleashing your Greatness!